Crown & Bridge
Why do I need a crown?
You may need a crown for many different reasons, but most commonly it is because it will support the tooth much better than a filling would. Here are some reasons your tooth may benefit from a crown:
- More than 2/3 of the tooth structure is filling material, not natural tooth
- The tooth has had a prior root canal
- The tooth cannot be supported by a filling and has a risk of fracture
- The decay is so far below the gums that proper bonding of the filling cannot take place
- Full mouth rehabilitation - to rebuild and balance the way you use your teeth
- Esthetics - elective treatment for looks only
When is a bridge necessary?
Bridges are very useful for replacing one or multiple teeth. In order to be a good candidate for a bridge you need a tooth on either side of the missing tooth/teeth. There are some circumstances where a bridge is contraindicated and we always review the pros and cons with you at your exam.
Bridges are a very cost effective way of replacing teeth and become even more attractive when you need a crown on one of the teeth holding the bridge. Then you can provide a crown and fill the space with a brand new tooth!